Everything you need to know about eyelid surgery, costs, advice and care:
Among the organs of the face, the influence and importance of the eyes is not hidden from anyone. It is said that the eyes are a window to the human soul and psyche. Although there is a lot of discussion about this statement, the importance of eye beauty can not be ignored.When you look at a person’s face, the first thing that catches your eye is their eyes. In non-verbal communication and expression of emotions, the eyes play a very important role. It conveyed to others a spirit such as anger, sadness, joy, surprise, despair, love, and so on. The same characteristics in the eyes remind us how this precious human organ can be effective in his daily communication. The more beautiful and attractive the eye, the more attractive the other side seems to us. Therefore, it is obvious that paying much attention to this feature and the effect of the eyes is very important.
But you may not have the gift of beautiful eyes, or you may have faded due to the consequences of aging, youth and beauty of your eyes, but do not worry, eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty surgery is a unique solution to your problem. This surgery can effectively improve the appearance of your eyes by eliminating the signs of aging in the lower and upper eyelids and will make you look younger.
In this article, we are going to go into the details of upper and lower eyelid blepharoplasty and review the latest medical information in the world.
What you will read about blepharoplasty on this page:
• Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)
• Beauty blepharoplasty
• Therapeutic blepharoplasty
• Upper eyelid surgery (removal of drooping eyelids)
• Lower eyelid surgery (removal of puffiness under the eyes)
• Candidates for blepharoplasty surgery
• Durability of blepharoplasty
• Blepharoplasty surgery under anesthesia
• Choose a reliable surgeon
• Care and tips before eyelid surgery
• Care and tips after eyelid surgery
• Possible complications of blepharoplasty
• The cost of blepharoplasty
What is eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty?
The skin around the eyes due to the delicacy and sensitivity of this area, more and faster than anywhere else is affected by environmental factors and aging and will suffer from skin aging and wrinkles.
As the face ages, the eyelid skin becomes stretched and wrinkled, the muscles weaken, and the fat sacs become swollen. And in some people, as the upper eyelid sags, the eyebrows sag and the distance between the eyes and the eyebrows decreases.
For more information on the causes of drooping eyelids, refer to this section.
For more information on the causes of drooping eyelids, refer to this section.
Blepharoplasty is a surgery to improve the appearance of the eyelids and after rhinoplasty, it is one of the most common cosmetic surgeries in Iran. This surgery can tighten and lift the skin around the eyes and give your face a more attractive, younger and more alert look.
Eyelid cosmetic surgery is not only used for people who have drooping eyelids in old age, but also for people who have low eyelid puffiness or other eyelid problems due to various factors.
Blepharoplasty surgery is often considered a cosmetic procedure; But it is good to know that in the field of treatment, blepharoplasty can be used to treat eyelid functional problems and improve the field of vision of people whose drooping eyelids have reduced their field of vision, by eliminating severe drooping eyelids. . In the treatment process, excess skin, muscle and sometimes adipose tissue are removed from the upper and lower eyelid areas. Sometimes only the extra skin is removed from the eyelid.
Of course, upper eyelid blepharoplasty, sometimes referred to as eyelid lift or eyelid lift, should not be confused with eyelid drooping surgery (ptosis surgery). In drooping eyelid surgery, the muscles and tendons of the upper eyelid, which are responsible for holding the eyelid up, are tightened to correct the problem. Blepharoplasty eliminates drooping eyelids when excess skin causes the eyelids to become heavy and droop. So these two surgeries are different, but both can correct drooping eyelids.In the following, we will deal with both aesthetic and therapeutic aspects of blepharoplasty.
Cosmetic blepharoplasty refers to the application of this surgery, which is not medically necessary to perform it, but can make your face beautiful and youthful.
Unfortunately, as you age, your eyelid skin becomes loose, its muscles weak, its fat bags swollen, and due to reduced elasticity and production. Collagen and elastin, freshness and color and thickness of the skin will change and wrinkles will appear over time and become more visible. From an aesthetic point of view, these items can reduce the attractiveness and beauty of your eyes and face and make you look older and tired.
Various specialists are allowed to perform blepharoplasty surgery. Ophthalmologists, plastic surgeons, and ENT specialists can perform this surgery. Naturally, among these specialties are plastic and cosmetic surgeons who are both proficient in medical and scientific subjects and are skilled in the basics of aesthetics.
Blepharoplasty refers to those eyelid surgeries that are performed because of a problem with the eyelids or their structures. These surgeries are medically necessary or important.
In most cases, blepharoplasty is performed when the extra skin on the eyelids has become so heavy that the person’s vision is impaired. Sometimes swelling of the upper or lower eyelid makes it difficult to wear glasses or medical lenses, in which case eyelid surgery can be used to correct the problem. Treatment of skin inflammation caused by overlapping eyelid folds is another application of this surgery. Sometimes the extra skin on the eyelids makes the eyelid so heavy that one has to use the forehead muscles to hold the eyelid up. In this case, fatigue and discomfort of the forehead muscles occur, which can be treated with eyelid surgery.
How is upper eyelid surgery performed? (Removal of drooping eyelids)
The method of upper eyelid surgery depends on the type and shape of the eyelids at the discretion of the surgeon. For upper eyelid surgery, the incision is usually hidden in the natural crease of the eyelid. Because the incision is high along the natural lines of the eyelid; After healing, the incision is well hidden. Through this incision, excess fat tissue and skin are removed. How much excess skin, fat or muscle around the eye should be removed, according to the doctor during surgery and examinations. It depends on the operation. Factors such as the muscular structure of the face, the bone structure and the symmetry of your eyebrows are among the determining factors. After the shape of the eyelids is corrected, the surgeon sutures the incision and finishes the operation.
This operation is not just a surgery, but the calculations and delicacy of the surgeon’s work are quite impressive as a result of the work. The steps performed by a skilled surgeon to correct drooping eyelids are as follows:
1. Design and calculations
With the following precise calculations, we can determine the location of the surgical incision, the amount of extra skin that needs to be removed, and the location where the upper eyelid crease is to be placed.
Attention: During preoperative examinations and during surgery, it is considered that the distance between the edge of the eyelashes and under the eyebrows should not be less than 20 mm to maintain the beauty of the eyelid and to guarantee the natural closure of the upper eyelid.
2. Skin removal (sometimes with extra muscle in the upper eyelid)
The most consistent procedure in upper eyelid surgery is to remove the extra skin that has formed with age. By doing this and following the standards, we can make a very beneficial change in rejuvenation around the eyes without worrying about dangerous side effects. Many young people with mild drooping eyelids need only this change and no further action is required.
3. Correction of excess fats or replacement of fats
In some people, after removing excess skin and muscle from the upper eyelid, some fat is removed from the areas that have excessive puffiness. Liposuction is not performed in the same way in all patients. In some people this should only be done in the middle of the upper eyelid, while in others the extra fat is removed from the inside of the eye.
Also, in some people, excess fat may be removed in both areas. Finally, some people do not need to remove fat at all, and more importantly, sometimes it is necessary to remove only fat from the part that is high to the part that is deficient. We are transferring fat to get the best eyelid beauty result.
4. Raising and fixing the eyebrows at the same time as correcting the upper eyelid from the same surgical incision site
Simultaneously with cosmetic surgery of the upper eyelid, the surgeon can raise and fix the eyebrows slightly above their place. In this method, parts of the end of the eyebrow (eyebrow tail) are released from the lower tissues and transferred to the upper parts, then sutured to the lower tissues in a new place.
If you want to have cosmetic eyelid surgery, it is good to know that in the coming years you will naturally experience drooping eyebrows, which causes the symptoms of drooping eyelids to return. Therefore, by fixing the eyebrows, the beauty effect of the eyelid will remain for a longer time. Therefore, by fixing the eyebrows, the beauty effect of the eyelid will remain for a longer time.
This technique somehow guarantees the lasting effect of eyelid cosmetic surgery.
How is lower eyelid surgery performed (removal of puffiness under the eyes)
In the case of blepharoplasty for the lower eyelid, at the surgeon’s discretion, if the extra skin needs to be removed, the external blepharoplasty method is used, ie the incision is made just below the lash line. Which is usually done in older people. But in younger people who have puffiness under the eyes and do not have excess skin, a conjunctival incision is made inside the eye and they do not have a skin incision.
The latest method of lower eyelid cosmetic surgery is leveling. At present, instead of removing the fat that may cause the eye socket, the matching operation is performed. In this method, they cut from behind the curtain, but do not drain all the fat and may remove some of the fat for leveling. And add to the areas that have dimples to remove puffiness and dimples under the eyes. However, depending on the specific conditions of each person, the treating physician decides which method to use.
If needed, carbon dioxide (CO2) laser is recommended to improve the results and rejuvenate the surface layers of the skin to eliminate the remaining fine wrinkles.
Who are the candidates for blepharoplasty surgery?
The proper candidate for this treatment and beauty method can not be identified exactly. You can consult us to diagnose this case. You can contact us by phone, through the site or virtual media, talk to our experts and make an appointment for an in-person consultation.
But in general, if you have the following conditions, you are a candidate for this beauty procedure.
- This operation is performed for people who have drooping eyelids and are over 30 years old, and this drooping causes unpleasant changes in the face. But sometimes inherited problems with drooping eyelids or puffy eyes can be done at a younger age with the discretion of a doctor.
- In the eyes of some people, the groove of the upper eyelid is not formed properly. So these people have eyes similar to the eyes of the Chinese and Japanese. These people are also candidates for blepharoplasty. (Oriental blepharoplasty)
- Eyelid surgery is also used to rejuvenate the eyelids in the elderly, which is a cosmetic procedure. (Blepharoplasty regurgitation)
This operation is also performed to repair excessive looseness of the upper and lower eyelids. In this eyelid surgery, the function of the eyelids is improved. This model of eyelid surgery is also called Functional Blepharoplasty.
It should be noted that blepharoplasty is not able to correct wrinkles and wrinkles that appear when laughing. The best treatment for laughing wrinkles is Botox injections and these can not be corrected with surgery.
Keep in mind that a number of acute and chronic conditions reduce your chances of being a good candidate for eyelid surgery. The risks of surgery are very high for people suffering from coagulation disorders, immune system problems, viral diseases (such as hepatitis and AIDS), diabetes and uncontrolled blood pressure. For this reason, cosmetic surgery is usually not recommended for these people. Of course, if they can control and treat this disease, they will have no problem doing this cosmetic procedure.
Smokers or regular smokers are not good candidates for this surgery. Smoking interferes with the healing process; That’s why doctors usually advise you to quit smoking for at least a few weeks before surgery.
How long are the effects of blepharoplasty lasting?
Each action has its own stability time according to its conditions. And it varies depending on each person. You should have the right expectations for this surgery. Like all cosmetic and rejuvenation procedures, this surgery can make a dramatic improvement in the beauty of your face and eyes, but it does not mean achieving a youthful elixir. After all rejuvenation treatments, your skin will continue to age, and in the relatively near future, you may need to get the same treatment again or use other rejuvenation methods to repair the results.
In general, if your general health is good, lead a healthy lifestyle, and follow your postoperative care instructions.This operation can be one of the most stable facial cosmetic operations and the results of surgeryIt will easily last from 7 to 15 years.
Is anesthesia or anesthesia used in blepharoplasty surgery?
Eyelid surgery may be performed under local anesthesia or general anesthesia, depending on the individual’s medical condition and the physician’s diagnosis. Upper eyelid blepharoplasty is usually performed on an outpatient basis and does not even require hospitalization. This operation usually does not require anesthesia and is performed under local anesthesia. But lower eyelid blepharoplasty is performed in a surgical center under anesthesia.
In some cases, this cosmetic procedure requires other surgeries. Operations such as eyebrow fixation, eyebrow lift, tear gland fixation, fat transplant, Botox, etc., all the details of which will be considered and told to you in consultation with your doctor.
Choose a reliable surgeon
Plastic surgery, whether for cosmetic or reconstructive purposes, requires many choices. The first and most important of these is choosing a reliable surgeon. One of the best indicators of a physician’s education is having a board encyclopedia. Ask your surgeon about having a plastic surgery board encyclopedia, as this encyclopedia is the only evidence that a person is qualified to perform plastic surgery on the face and all areas of the body.
See this section for more information on surgeon selection criteria.
Pre-eyelid care and tips
If you want to have cosmetic eyelid surgery; It is necessary to observe the following items in order to perform the operation:
- Do not take blood thinners, anticoagulants (such as aspirin) and painkillers such as ibuprofen for 1 to 2 weeks before surgery. These drugs increase the risk of bleeding.
- Avoid taking vitamin E and a variety of multivitamins and supplements from 1 to 2 weeks in advance.
- On the morning of surgery you should take your essential medicines with a little water; Medications such as blood pressure medication.
- Do not do any makeup on your face on the day of surgery and wash your face before going to the clinic.
- Plan to take you home after personal surgery and take care of you for a few hours.
As we said, there is no need to be hospitalized after eyelid surgery; Unless, in addition to blepharoplasty, other cosmetic surgery is performed on your face.
- For best results, you should forget about alcohol two weeks before surgery and two weeks after.
- Smoking like cigarettes and hookah slows down the healing process and increases the risk of complications from blepharoplasty. Be sure to quit smoking two weeks in advance.
Care and tips after eyelid surgery
Knowing the conditions of your recovery is one of the most important parts of any cosmetic surgery. When you have information about your recovery, you usually do not feel very worried. But it is better not to worry about this surgery, because blepharoplasty is a very light and simple surgery that you can easily return home after the surgery and the final visit to the doctor. Taking serious postoperative care will help you experience a good speed of recovery. do. Usually, the recovery period of any surgery is the most important part of it. In blepharoplasty it is necessary:
Swelling and possible bruising after surgery usually disappears within a week. Using a cold compress accelerates the healing process for up to 48 hours. On the first day after surgery, once every hour (when awake) for 10 to 15 minutes of cold compresses use. And the second day is repeated every few hours. This keeps swelling and bruising to a minimum.
- It is better to use a warm compress after 48 hours.
- Consumption of plenty of fluids and lack of salt is effective in reducing swelling.
- Be sure to use the prescribed eye drops.
- Apply the prescribed ointment in the morning and at night on the eyelid sutures and in small amounts inside the eye
- In the first one or two days after eyelid surgery, a few drops of blood may come out of the sutures, which is normal and nothing to worry about.
- The patient can start her normal activity 2-3 days later, but she should avoid physical activity and intense mobility for a week.
- It is best not to stare at the TV or screen for 2-3 days after the operation.
- Contact lenses can usually not be used for 2 weeks after surgery. To use medical lenses, you have to wait until the eyelid swells. To the extent that the lens is in the eye without discomfort.
- For the first few days after eyelid surgery, there may be a slight blurring of vision that will be normal. Wear dark sunglasses during this period, especially outdoors.
- When sleeping, keep your head above your body. You can use two ordinary pillows or a large pillow for this purpose.
- Avoid alcohol, especially smoking. Smoking also increases the risk of postoperative infections. That is why it is important to avoid smoking during the recovery period after blepharoplasty surgery.
- Do not use cosmetics on the operating areas for two weeks after eyelid cosmetic surgery.
- The eyelid sutures are removed one week after the operation and the sutures disappear to a large extent after one to two months.
- You should expect mild discomfort immediately after surgery. Although blepharoplasty is a minor surgery, it is still a surgical procedure. Of course, all the discomfort and complications will improve in a few days. Depending on your condition, your doctor will prescribe painkillers.
- In those who have severe eyelid asymmetry before surgery, some mild asymmetry may remain after surgery.
- In the first days after eyelid surgery, your eyelid may not have a good view, but do not worry, in a few weeks and with the swelling subsiding, the final view of the eyelid will be determined, so in the first days after the operation, do not try to evaluate the result. do.
- Incomplete closing of the eyelids in the first few weeks after eyelid cosmetic surgery is common. In these cases, use eye ointment before going to bed.
What are the possible complications of blepharoplasty?
What are the possible complications of blepharoplasty? But you should know that if this surgery is performed by a non-specialist and non-professional doctor, the risk of multiple problems and complications will also increase. So try to choose a reliable doctor to perform this surgery. Here are the possible complications of this operation:
- Temporary blurred vision
- Temporary eye irritation
- Skin and eye damage caused by sun exposure
- Severe dry eyes
- Feeling itchy around the eyes
- Problems keeping eyes open during sleep
- Skin scars
- Bruising and swelling (common)
- Infection at the wound site
- Muscle injury
- Visual impairment (medical error)
So be very careful in choosing your surgeon and decide with consultation and awareness.
What factors determine the cost of blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery)?
There are usually several factors that determine the cost of upper and lower eyelid blepharoplasty. Factors such as the number of eyelids required for surgery; The city where you intend to operate the eyelid; The clinic you have chosen; The specialist surgeon you are considering; Examinations performed by a surgeon; Tests that may be considered for you before surgery; The advanced equipment and tools and the model that is considered for the operation of your eyelid. . The doctor’s expertise and skill is one of the most important issues that determine the cost of this surgery. The more experience a doctor has in this area, the higher the cost will definitely be. The location of surgery and ancillary services before and after blepharoplasty are among the parameters that determine the cost of blepharoplasty. Surgery in a surgery center or clinic will usually be less than in a hospital or operating room
Contact our consultants for advice and information on the cost of blepharoplasty.